Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Can The Golden Eagle Soar?

Greetings Readers!

As I mentioned with last week's entry, my trip home was filled with visits to friends and was also full of sandwich adventures.

One of my favorite types of places to visit, well in any city, are diners. None more so than Philadephia and New Jersey area diners. Maybe it's the fact that I grew up going to them after dances in high school, or in the middle of the night in college, or after nights of drinks on the town.

Regardless, diners have been a source of great conversation, and sometimes surprisingly good food.

When visiting home, I like to visit the Golden Eagle Diner in Bristol, PA, and usually for these visits I am joined with my college roommate Doug.

Interestingly enough, Doug stars in a webseries about two superheroes and his character's alter ego is named, of course, Golden Eagle.

So it's fitting that we would catch up at this diner.

Perusing the novel-sized menu, I wanted to change up my sandwich selection this week so as to find something new, but also to appeal to my dear readers looking for a variety in sandwich types.

I settled upon the crab cake sandwich., which normally are a favorite of mine. I love a good, hearty, spiced patty of crab meat, but this was not the case. The patty here was so much smaller than its accompanying bun  and would have been that much better had i trimmed off half of the bun.

The crab meat itself was overly-flavored, and not exactly in a tasty way. It was too much.

The tartar sauce was also too bland, and didn't add anything to the sandwich. If the tartar and crab meat got together one night and over drinks decided to switch spice levels, maybe they might end up with a better pairing, but alas, it was not meant to be.

Luckily the coffee was free flowing for three hours and the conversation was also great.

I've mentioned this before, but it really does seem like a sandwich experience does become more enjoyable with the right company. This whole journey to find the perfect sandwich is also the story about finding great company to enjoy food with. Even when the sandwiches are bad, the people make up for it.

Until next week. . .





Crab Cake Sandwich
** Stars
Golden Eagle Diner
300 Bath Road & Route 13
Bristol, PA 19007

No comments:

Post a Comment

hey, totally leave your name in your post so i know who is posting! thanks for commenting!