Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Traveling Down The Golden Road

Greetings, Readers!

You know, sometimes a place makes such good sandwiches (or beer as well in this instance) that you just have to return again and again to have that same meal or to try something new.

In this case, I spent the evening with close friends at Golden Road Brewing, a place I have visited numerous times before and reviewed a year ago

This time, relaxing in the cool evening air with friends and a gut-warming glass of GRB's Barleywine (amazing, try it) I decided to go a little lighter than my last visit. This time I tried a sandwich for all of you vegetarians out there.

This time around I went for the Tomato Caprese Sandwich.

Stuffed into a golden, flaky French roll were thick and delicious slices of mozzarella, sliced roma tomatoes, basil pesto, balsamic reduction and olive oil.

The sandwich, while filling, was fresh, light, and thoroughly enjoyable. A contrast in flavors and ingredients to my previous visit (the delicious pulled pork sandwich), this was an excellent example of delicious on the other end of the food spectrum.

And it's proof that pub food doesn't have to be soaked in grease and made from meat to be enjoyable and easily paired with delicious beer.

As I've stated on the blog before, when tomatoes are on a sandwich that I am eating, I really need them to be fresh and juicy. If a tomato is mealy in any degree, I'll pull all of them off...but this was not the case this time around.

The tomatoes were fresh and juicy, with the balsamic reduction and pesto adding excellent herb flavors on top. Packed inside the flaky French roll, this is sandwich worth eating....again and again.

Overall, with this sandwich I can proudly state that Golden Road is a place where carnivore and vegetarian can eat at the same table and drink delicious beer while both enjoying excellently created sandwiches.

+++++++++++

In related sandwich news, I wanted to pass on this excellent article regarding the inherent danger in sandwiches. They can be so dangerous that even professional athletes can get hurt.  Seems that Tampa Bay Rays relief pitcher Joel Peralta suffered a neck injury on a recent sandwiching adventure in Florida.

Read more about it here.

Do you see, Readers? The danger I put myself in weekly to inform you of great sandwiches?

So take care out there this week, and enjoy your sandwiching.

Until next time...


Tomato Caprese Sandwich
**** 1/2 Stars
Golden Road Brewing
5410 West San Fernando Road
Los Angeles, CA 90039

2 comments:

  1. I keep trying Barleywines whenever I see them but I don't think I've found one that I really like. I'll have to give this one a shot when I'm out there next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they can be tough to like. strong in abv and kind of syrupy. golden road's isn't as syrupy as most though, which is definitely a positive.

      Delete

hey, totally leave your name in your post so i know who is posting! thanks for commenting!