Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Chasing The White Whale

Greetings, Dear Readers!

I have some fun news to share.

Like Captain Ahab chasing the great Moby Dick, I have finally caught up with my own White Whale...except this time with much more positive results.

In the early days of this blog, when I first signed up for Twitter (@danger_sandwich) many moons ago, one of the first accounts I started to follow was that of The Grilled Cheese Truck ().

Even though I had wanted to find and sample from this truck from nearly the beginning of my sandwiching adventures, timing and location always seemed to elude me.

Well that all changed two weeks ago.

While at a comic book signing at House of Secrets in Burbank with Matt Fraction (@mattfraction) the Grilled Cheese Truck showed up outside to cater the event. Not only did I get to meet one of my favorite comic book writers, but now I could finally try my most sought after sandwich: The Cheesy Mac and Rib.

Yes, that sandwich sounds exactly like what it is.

Between two slices of seasoned grilled bread sits a healthy serving of cheesy mac, sharp cheddar cheese, caramelized onions and shredded BBQ pork rib (you can get the sandwich just as the Cheesy Mac though without rib for you non-meat eaters).

Wow.

When I got home with the sandwich, I quickly took my first photo of it to show you, and I had planned to take another. Before I knew it though, the sandwich was gone.

Seriously, I could not put it down after I started. The sharp cheddar was an excellent choice for this sandwich because it's so full of flavor, you need a strong cheese to stand out. The cheesy mac, while plentiful, wasn't overloaded.

The BBQ pork was amazing. The smoky and tangy flavors brought to the plate with it were excellent complements to the sandwich, but also contrasted well with the sharp cheddar to stand out on its own. The caramelized onions gave a bit of textural difference...and then there's the bread.

You would think with this sandwich being packed with not only heavy ingredients, but also ones that would easily destroy bread, that it would fall apart after the second bite.

I can happily report though that the bread not only held together incredibly until the end, but also added a great grilled flavor to the mix.

Overall, finding my own Moby Dick was worth the wait, and is definitely a truck anyone in the area should try to find and eat from. It will be absolutely worth your time.

So now with the Grilled Cheese Truck crossed off my list, it's now onto finding another great sandwich. What will the next one be? Only time will tell.

Until next week, Readers...



Cheesy Mac and Rib Sandwich
***** Stars
The Grilled Cheese Truck
http://www.thegrilledcheesetruck.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

hey, totally leave your name in your post so i know who is posting! thanks for commenting!