Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Delicious Revelations

Welcome back Dear Readers!

A lot has happened over the past week, and most notable of the bunch is that the look of this blog has changed. I thought adding a delicious looking burger to the background here would drive home the idea of the ever-present, yet still elusive, DANGER SANDWICH so much better.

Also, The Danger Sandwich Twitter account is growing. If you haven't started to follow me yet, you should get on that train right over here.

Now, onto the sandwich...

Prior to my sandwich expedition this week, I was on a hike through the old LA Zoo ruins. It's pretty amazing to see the fixtures and cages still up (sans bars) and you're able to check out their interiors. It's amazing how small some of the cages actually were.

Following this adventure, I made my way to Burbank and was looking for someplace to eat, and lo and behold, I stumbled upon the Corner Bakery.

Yes, I went to a chain restaurant, and originally, I didn't think I would even review this sandwich.

So why am I?

Because this sandwich actually got me really thinking about this blog as a whole, and put these sandwiches into perspective.

With next week's blog marking one year since I began this little adventure I've been thinking about what I've learned about my desire for sandwiching., and I've mentioned before that part of the fun in doing it is the experience of the atmosphere and the company with which I sandwich (say that five times fast).

But I also think it's something more, and this relates to the reason why my chain restaurant sandwiches have been somewhat...lacking.

And as I took another bite into my Grilled Reuben Panini from Corner Bakery, I realized that it's not just the sandwich, not just the atmosphere, not just the experience. It's also the little glimpse of local culture that you get with each bite.

Whether it's the Philly Cheesesteak or the French Dip or the Cubano, each one of these sandwiches is an enlightening experience that shows you a glimpse of local culture.

And that is fascinating to me.

Just like exploring a bit of lost local culture in your own backyard, a sandwich can enlighten you to a part of your own city that you never knew about.

Oh and this sandwich in particular? Grilled caraway rye bread, with lean corned beef, sauerkraut and thousand island dressing.

The sandwich was good, but it was missing that little extra something.

Until next week, Readers...

*** Stars
Grilled Reuben Panini
Corner Bakery Cafe
www.cornerbakerycafe.com

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you didn't blame this three star sandwich on the company you had while eating it!!

    ReplyDelete

hey, totally leave your name in your post so i know who is posting! thanks for commenting!