Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Maybe I should try something....healthier.

Good morning and salutations, DANGERites.

Welcome to another edition of The Danger Sandwich.

Before beginning the usual dangerousness, I must say I have come upon a realization over the past few months of writing this blog. Something that may help you in your own search for your Danger Sandwich.

Even though this search for a Sandwich that will take my life because of its amazingness is a personal journey that I alone must embark on, I have found that having company along with you for a sandwich excursion can always make the experience that much more enjoyable.

Good talk, good food, and of course, people asking for your opinion while you're eating (and sometimes even staring at you until you give your initial opinion) can be incredibly enjoyable and add to the overall experience.

But is this anything new? Have I not known that good company can always improve the atmosphere and overall experience of eating? Of course I'm not that dense, but it never hurts to be reminded of this fact...especially if the sandwich is delicious.

For this week's review, I headed to Barney's Beanery in Santa Monica with a few very close people (maybe too close for how DANGERously I tend to live.

Barney's is a great place. A very cool sports bar on the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica, you can't go wrong with one of their burgers here. I've tried many, and have never been let down.

This time though, I've decided to try something new, something potentially more DANGERous.

I tried the Avocado Melt.

Prepare for DANGER.

The Avocado Melt contains half of a sliced avocado, loads of Jack Cheese, grilled onions, tomatoes, all on grilled marble rye.

I am a huge fan of avocado, and can never have enough on a sandwich. It was perfect here, very flavorful, thinly cut, and with a perfect ripe texture that was very creamy yet a little firm.

The marble rye, while normally it would be a very good choice for this sandwich, was grilled just a little too long. The bread in for this melt should have some toasting to it, but I feel like it was just overdone in this case. The bread became a little too hard and tough.

The tomatoes and grilled onions also seemed to take a bit away from the sandwich. They were cooked too long and most of their favor had disappeared, leaving a very bland addition from two vegetables that can normally add a nice punch up to any sandwich.

Despite this though, the sandwich was still enjoyable. The only downside being that I know it's potential was so much higher than it ended up being. So, if you happen to make it out to Barney's Beanery, I'd suggest you just stick with a burger, especially if it's your first time.

Next week, I will be tackling some more recommendations from readers. My last few weeks have been a slight letdown, so I need to have a great experience or dear readers, I will be in DANGER of becoming lost in Sandwich Limbo!

It's like real limbo, just a bit more delicious.

Until Next Week!

*** Stars
Barney's Beanery
1351 3rd Street Promenade
Santa Monica, CA 90401

No comments:

Post a Comment

hey, totally leave your name in your post so i know who is posting! thanks for commenting!