Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Flashback to Past Deliciousness

Gather around dear readers, because this week's DANGERous entry comes with a story.

Wanting to try another delicious sandwich, I decided that I would try out Spitz, a Doner Kebab shop in Eagle Rock.
For those not in the know, Doner Kebab is a Middle Eastern style meal in which lamb meat is roasted on a spit, then shaved off, combined with tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, lettuce, and sauces in a sandwich, or more commonly a wrap or pita.

Before I review this sandwich at Spitz though, I should tell you of a most DANGERous story in order to show you how high my standards are for this type of sandwich.

Back in 2006, while studying in Prague, I took off for a week in Berlin with a friend of mine. Our first afternoon there, we found a Doner Kebab place and that was my first time with this delicious gift of DANGER.

We liked it so much that we ate Doner Kebab more often than authentic German food.

The wraps combined all of the above ingredients, plus your choice of mild or hot pepper mash, and I have to say that either mash was an excellent addition to an already amazing offering from the Middle East by way of Berlin.
The meat was flavorful, tender, and perfectly cooked. The salad combined to offer an excellent crunch and add a vibrant and light counterpoint to the meat. Top it off with the pepper sauce in a warm pita, and you've found one of my new favorite foods.

In fact, we became such fans of the sandwich that our nearby shop was our last stop before almost missing our bus back to Prague.

We hadn't remembered that it was Daylight Savings Time and that we were actually behind by an hour. No worries though. We still got our sandwiches for the ride home and said Goodbye to Berlin with a mouthful of DANGER.
Returning to Prague, and then eventually the States, I never was able to find a comparable, or even passable, place to find Doner.

But now I believe I have.

Spitz has locations both Downtown and in Eagle Rock. And both are excellent destinations, though I do prefer the atmosphere of the Downtown location much more.

The meat is delicious and succulent. It falls apart in your mouth, is cooked evenly and not burnt, and is just a powerhouse of lamb-y goodness.

The salad is so fresh and crisp, I'd be surprised if it hadn't been harvested yesterday. The lettuce and onions add a nice crunch, while the cucumber and tomatoes and a brisk refreshing flavor to the sandwich.

Lastly, the bread: two slices of golden Focaccia bread, both warm and fluffy on the inside.

Combine these DANGERous ingredients together, and I swear I felt like I was back in Germany, being served a delicious sandwich from Turkish immigrants.

Do not hesitate to try this.

Even if you're not in LA, check out local listings for great places in your area serving Doner. You seriously will not be disappointed.

Until next week...

D-A-N-G-E-R! DANGER!


**** 1/2 Stars
Spitz
2506 Colorado Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90041

or

371 E 2nd St
Los Angeles, CA 90012

3 comments:

  1. I actually just had one of these a few weeks ago in Chicago. It was good but no where near as good as the ones I had in Berlin. I need to find a good place for these in Philly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doner Kebab the turkish equivalent of an gyro or a shwarma. All are potentially great and dangerous sandwiches. Although I will definitely have to try a doner kebab again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn! I'd make a trip out to LA for something that compared to the Doner Kebab from Berlin. Still nothing like it in DC. Again... I'm sooooo jealous!

    -E

    ReplyDelete

hey, totally leave your name in your post so i know who is posting! thanks for commenting!