Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Too Much Danger...Something Something...


Hello again dear seekers of DANGER!

I tried very hard for you to review a sandwich of delicious levels never experienced before by many humans, but sadly fate had other plans for me this weekend when my car died, unexpectedly cutting a road trip, in your honor, short.

To make up for this though, I decided to return to a place I had recently visited to have another of their highly recommended sandwiches.

With my previous experience at Porto's (Havana Sandwich, 2 weeks ago), I decided to try their steak sandwich, the Pan Con Bistec.

Marinated steak, grilled onions, potato sticks, tomatoes and garlic sauce on Cuban bread.

Sound DANGERous to you, dear readers?

Yeah, I thought so too. So let's get into why this sandwich was a complete letdown, especially compared to their superior Cubano sandwich.

First off, if the steak was marinated, I'm not quite sure it was marinated in because while the texture was good, the taste was almost non-existent. A very bland steak that had me thinking back to the deliciously full flavored Cubano.

It doesn't get much better after the steak either. The onions and tomatoes were cooked a little too long and their flavors had almost completely disappeared.

The garlic sauce had a smooth taste, not too strong, but just enough for a kick. Unfortunately, it was really the only flavor in this sandwich.

I think the best part of the sandwich was the potato sticks. They were a nice touch that added a great contrast in texture with a hearty crunch.

Lastly, the Cuban bread. I highly rated this bread while securing together the Cubano sandwich, but even with it being perfectly flaky and soft, it can't help the DANGERously un-delicious inside it cradles.

All in all, quite a letdown and something that should be avoided at Porto's.

I had real high expectations though after trying the Cubano, so maybe I was a bit biased. Still, if it's your first (or 10th) time to Porto's, I recommend hitting up the Cubano, and completely looking over the Pan Con Bistec.

You'll be thanking me...FOR DANGER!

* 1/2 Stars
Porto's Bakery
3614 Magnolia Blvd
Burbank, CA 91505

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for telling me about your blog! Okay so there's a pretty famous sandwich place in Westlake, not too far from that fashion thing we went to a few years ago...They claim to have the World's Best Pastrami:

    http://www.langersdeli.com/

    We should check it out soon!

    ~Adrienne

    ReplyDelete

hey, totally leave your name in your post so i know who is posting! thanks for commenting!