Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Cleveland does, in fact, rock.


The life of a Sandwichologist is not an easy one. Sometimes you are required to leave your area of comfort and head off into the great wide open in search of elusive sandwiches that may be ripe with DANGER.

For my first adventure away from Los Angeles, I decided to make a stop at Melt Bar & Grilled in Cleveland, OH (note: technically it's Lakewood).

Now this being my first time to Cleveland, I had no idea what deliciousness lay in hiding from me. Thank you to reader, Melanie for the suggestion.

Upon arriving at Melt, I was greeted by a half hour wait to be seated. But trust me, if you're ever in Cleveland, the wait is worth it, so mark this down on your GPS.

The menus are almost overwhelming at first. Printed on the back of old LPs, there are quite a lot of variations of grilled cheese sandwiches and melts to take in. Thankfully, with the King on the back of my menu, I picked "The Winter Chicken Melt" which contains grilled chicken, honey tomato chipotle sauce, and pepper jack on toasted sourdough bread.

I feel like i should take a moment to explain something about my sandwich preferences.

Sourdough is my absolute favorite type of bread. Nothing tops it. Yes, rye is good in certain situations, and challah has its moments as well, but nothing is as delicious as well made sourdough.

Seriously, if you gave me a sandwich on Sourdough, we could have Northridge (the famed 6.7 magnitude 1994 earthquake) Part 2, and as my apartment collapsed around me i would blissfully munch away on its deliciousness.


That being said, this sandwich had the most perfectly grilled, lightly buttered sourdough. It got your fingers a little greasy when you picked the sandwich up, but not too overpowering to make the taste overpowering.

The chicken has been lightly grilled, and is incredibly tender and very juicy. After it's been cooked, it is bathed in a very light honey tomato chipotle sauce. While chipotle can sometimes be overpowering, and even too spicy for some people, this sauce is a smooth smokey flavor that adds a nice bit of pep to the sandwich. Top it all off with melted pepper jack and you have one delicious melt.


If you get the chance to go to Melt, i also highly recommend the fries (perfectly crisp and lightly seasoned) and the sweet slaw (cole slaw...but sweet).

That's it for this edition of The Danger Sandwich oh faithful followers. Speaking of which, if you're reading this, and haven't clicked the "Follow" Button the left, please do so!

And keep your suggestions coming, I'll be following up with more of them in the coming weeks.


Melt Bar & Grilled
14718 Detroit Avenue
Lakewood, OH 44107

1 comment:

  1. again u didnt rate this or the last sandwhich...fail!

    ReplyDelete

hey, totally leave your name in your post so i know who is posting! thanks for commenting!