Wednesday, April 25, 2012

We Have A Verdict...DANGER!

Greetings Readers!

Even though the trial I was assigned to was short (3 days) I didn't want to waste a single lunch visit while in Downtown Los Angeles.

Most of the restaurants and shops close up after the working day is over, so it makes it especially hard to get down there for sandwiching during the week, and weekends DTLA is still somewhat of a ghost town (though it is improving).

Not wanting to take a long stroll, I walked past the Cherry Pick Cafe on South Hill street, only a five minute walk from the courthouse.

The cafe is a small, low-ceilinged and dark little restaurant. A perfect contrast from the blinding hours of fluorescents that I had to deal with in the court room.

Their menu is quite impressive. I stood in line and examined it the entire time I waited, and only made my decision as I reached the counter. I decided to switch it up this week from red meat and went for a tuna fish sandwich, but not just any old tuna.

The sandwich I picked was the Wasabi Tuna Fish.

I love wasabi. The heat that comes along with it, as well as the piercing flavor is something I have always enjoyed. Sometimes I even enjoy a huge dose of it so that I feel the burning run up to my sinuses.

Yeah, it's weird, but it's like I say with spicy additions: if there's a good flavor with high heat, I don't mind.

But the problem with this sandwich is that I barely tasted any wasabi at all. While you may enjoy just the slightest hint of the condiment, and it was still a good sandwich, I definitely expected more wasabi flavor than I got and so I was a bit disappointed.

The albacore tuna on the otherhand was very delicious. Flavorful, but not too fishy, the tuna was mixed with celery, red onion and red peppers which provided a bit of crunchy contrast.

I chose to go with sourdough bread for the tuna sandwich and was very pleased. A bit of sour bite and very fresh bread, this was a great choice for this outing.

So this concludes my last downtown Los Angeles sandwich for some time I imagine. Well, unless I manage to get down there before 5PM, or called for jury duty for a third year in a row in 2013.

As much as I love sandwiches, let's hope the second option doesn't happen again anytime soon.

Until next week, Readers...


P.S. - #Burbank adventures begin next week!



Cherry Pick Cafe
208 S. Hill Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012
http://cherrypickcafe.com/

1 comment:

  1. Wasabi and tuna sounds awesome. I'll have to make some of that myself.

    ReplyDelete

hey, totally leave your name in your post so i know who is posting! thanks for commenting!