Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Jinky's, Scooby!

Greetings, Sandwich Lovers.

I hope this past week-long celebration of the 4th Earl of Sandwich's birthday was a delight to you, and that you find a new sandwich shop gem in your neighborhood.

Wanting to celebrate the Earl's birthday, I decided to try out a place near my work, that I had never gotten the chance to try before this week.

I was surprised that the Studio Cafe in Studio City was actually another Jinky's Cafe (there are four in LA) and so technically I had eaten here before, but just at another location.

Not to worry though, there was plenty to sample of the menu.

For this week's entry I tried the sandwich that just screamed out to me: the Curried Chicken Salad Sandwich.

Now, if you know me for more than just this blog, you may also know that I am not usually a fan of chicken salad, or even mayonnaise. The condiment has never really sat well with me, and had led me to find alternatives to it over the years. So there had to be more to this sandwich to really catch my eye.

The curry flavor took a bit away from the mayonnaise and really hid the latter's taste well within the sandwich. The part that worked even better to make me salivate was the mango chutney which was evenly mixed into the sandwich filled with white meat chicken.

Oh and as a final treat: roasted, chopped almonds adding a bit of crunchy contrast and nutty flavor to the mix which actually blended with the chutney, curry and chicken quite well.

On the downside though, the whole wheat bread that enveloped the sandwich was listed as being "grilled", but I think the Studio Cafe's definition of grilled is quite different than mine. This bread was about as grilled as it would be if it were left out in the sun for a week. It felt more stale than crisp.

Besides the bread, I was really hoping one of the components, besides the mayonnaise would have provided a bigger flavor pop. The mango, while a powerful flavor, was not as present as I thought it would be, and the curry flavor was hidden a little too much beneath the mango and almonds.

Overall, not too bad, but it could have been a lot better. I would really like to find one of these types of sandwiches done even better next time.

Did I just say I would look for another chicken salad sandwich?

I must need some sleep tonight.

Until next week, Readers!


Curried Chicken Salad Sandwich
*** 1/2 Stars
Jinky's Studio Cafe
4000 Colfax Avenue
Studio City, CA 91604

No comments:

Post a Comment

hey, totally leave your name in your post so i know who is posting! thanks for commenting!