Wednesday, February 9, 2011

It's Delicious! It's DELICIOUS!

Welcome back again dear Readers!

Boy, do I have a surprise for you this week.

Since I've started this blog, I have been reviewing the work of others sandwichmakers, but I have yet to put my own stamp on this human institution.

So, his week I have taken on a challenge in creating my own sandwich, a custom made turkey burger at the Counter in Studio City.

The Counter has been a hugely popular burger joint since it opened a year ago. The menu offers a few pre-planned burgers but the main draw is checklist of ingredients to create your own.

Every time I go to The Counter, I take forever to order. What sauce will a pick? Which 4 add-on ingredients do i want? Cheese? Too many options.

For my creation this time, I chose the 1/3lb turkey burger on a multigrain bun with feta cheese, sweet bbq sauce, greens, jalapenos, pickles, and cranberries.

Thoughts?

First of all, the burgers that I have eaten over the past year at The Counter have been juicy, savory, and cooked to perfection. If I get beef, the middle is just slightly pink, and this turkey is cooked fully through without losing its deliciousness.

The multigrain bun was soft and fluffy and the feta cheese had its usual pungent flavor but was an evenly matched participant in this sandwich.

With all of the strong and savory flavors I added the cranberries and sweet bbq sauce to provide some flavor contrast. The cranberries were dried, chewy and full of flavor. They were a definite standout on the sandwich. The BBQ sauce added a nice slightly sweet and tangy flavor that permeated the sandwich.

It was one of the best burgers I've had yet at The Counter, and will even name it TDS Special.

Did you just get chills too?

But in fairness to the blog, I don't think I can rate my own sandwich. I think it was pretty awesome, but it is a bit unfair for me to rate my own creation.

So why don't you all rate it for me?

One final note: This past weekend for the "Big Game", I invited a few people over for a party. Food was plentiful, but one standout was created by reader Charlene. She brought a stuffed sub: sausage, ground turkey, cheese and onions, stuffed into a long roll and baked. Wow. It was such a hit at the party that people ate the leftover stuffing with tortilla chips.

If you're interested in trying this delicious sandwich, you can find the recipe in the The I Heart Trader Joe's Party Cookbook available at all Urban Outfitters.

Until next week Readers!


The Counter
12117 Ventura Blvd
Studio City, CA 91604

2 comments:

  1. Um I must reserve judgment on how awesome it is until I give such a sandwich a try. Feta cheese is fairly hit or miss for me. It depends on how fresh the feta is. Still sounds a cool idea for a sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally fresh, Ben. I do agree with you in that it can be hit or miss. but when it's good, it's great. one of my favorite cheeses. definitely try out the TDS Special

    ReplyDelete

hey, totally leave your name in your post so i know who is posting! thanks for commenting!